Today Sean and I went grocery shopping. (We also finally installed our papertowel holder and magnetic knife rack. Now our kitchen is complete!) Normally, a grocery trip involves shopping at 2-3 different stores, since we can only get certain things at Safeway (the "normal" supermarket), then we get some organic produce at Limbo, and round out the trip with some not-crap cheese and other fun stuff at Trader Joe's. Limbo is next-door to TJ's, so this works well for us.
Today, we broke with our three week tradition and went to Fubonn Supermarket first. This Asian market is a bit out of our way, (47 blocks to be exact) but it was worth the trip. We never got to visit Boston's Asian market (Super88) much, since it was in Allston, and not at all convenient from the suburbs. Fubonn is straight east, so we might even get to shop there regularly!
We were blown away by the amount of ingredients they had there. We even found vegetarian fish sauce, which I didn't even know existed outside of mashing your own fermented tofu! I'm really excited about this. Now we can make better Thai food. Which is our plan for tonight, actually. Sean is cooking up some green curry as I type this.
We found long beans for the curry (which I've never seen before) and some incredibly fresh Thai basil and kaffir lime leaves in perfect portions. If we were adventurous meat-eaters (I'm not, anyway) we could have had pigs feet, a pound of chicken skin, jars of fish in various states of preservation, or cross-sections of snake heads.
There's no giant cafeteria here like Super88, but there was a bakery where we tried a pineapple custard bun, curry beef bun and orange mini pound cake. What an awesome lunch for two people for just over $3! I'm starving now and can't wait for curry. Mmmm...
After a quick trip to Safeway, we decided to skip the other two markets until later in the week. I can walk up to TJ's and Limbo to pick up those few items since they're only four blocks away. It may sound like a lot of work to shop at all these different places, but it's actually pretty fun.
Fubonn Supermarket
2850 SE 82nd Ave
Portland, OR 97266
Phone: (503) 517-8899
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment