Sunday, March 16, 2008

Fishtank maintenance

Sean here. Apparently everyone keeps asking Amanda what my job is all about, and she feels she isn't knowledgeable enough to answer...

My job is to maintain fish tank accounts for a small company. I go to doctor's offices, schools, homes, businesses, etc where they have a fish tank, and I do whatever is necessary to keep it healthy and looking nice. Mostly I wipe the glass, clean the ornaments, change some water, and play with the water's parameters, such as salinity or pH. Other than that, there is a bit of equipment maintenance, making sure lights are on and pumps are working. The company also maintains a storefront, so I do the same things there, as well as feeding fish and ringing up sales.

So far it has been a lot of fun. I get to haul around buckets of water, and stick my hand into tanks full of venomous and predatory fish, so it will still keep me fit and aware of my surroundings!

Currently, I'm not making very much money. At all. However, I can see this job opening a lot of opportunities. My boss seems very open to good suggestions, and I'm sure he would be happy if one of his employees developed a reputation as the go-to guy for planted tanks...

Anyway, Portland is great. Good food, fun weather, less stressful driving. I do miss everyone quite a bit, and the lack of omnipresent family run sub shops is disconcerting, so it isn't all roses. (Groan if you get it)

In case you are wondering, I do have some quality rants about a few issues, but if you want to hear them, you are going to have to call me or send an e-mail as there are some things that are better left private.

-Word.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sounds interesting!! I didn't even realize there was a market for that. Thanks for sharing, Sean!!