I know everyone hear talks about the snow like it's the end of the universe. Everyone who isn't originally from Portland complains about how Portland drivers forget how to drive as soon as the first flakes start falling. But let me tell you something. THEY DO NOT SALT THE ROADS. At all. And they barely plow, sprinkling light gravel on the major arteries when they get around to it. A day after the entire city is covered in hard-packed ice and half the drivers are stranded on the side of the road or partway across one of the many bridges. Good times!
I have never driven with snow tires on my car, even in blizzards in Massachusetts. It probably would have helped, but I've gotten through some tough, slippery days by driving slowly behind a plow or sand truck. People here have been driving with chains on their tires for about a week now, even after the snow had melted!
They either drive at 5mph, or fly around corners at 35, both with bad results. I know it only snows here about twice a year (we've gotten two light snowfalls already, and it brought the city to a screeching halt both times), but this is ridiculous! If they'd just put a little salt down, we'd all be able to get on with our lives!
Some of us had to brave the weather last weekend to vend at Crafty Wonderland, which was supposed to be the biggest craft event of the year. Somehow, Sean and I got a little lost finding the convention center in the morning, and accidentally had to cross two bridges over the river while everything was covered in an inch of slick ice. Our little Scion made it just fine, but it was scary to see 50% of the other drivers (which, admittedly, was only about 4 people) spinning out or sitting with their hazards flashing.
I can't even believe that 3,000 customers came by the show that day, which was totally sweet! It would have been at least 4 times that, if the weather had been nicer. We made a little money, got some shopping done, and got to hang out with some crafty friends. So it was a pretty good day, despite having to lug our heavy glassware around so much. I hope next year we can use a rolling cart for our stuff, since the parking lot felt like miles away from the exhibition hall, and we had to carry it all ourselves.
[I'll try to post some pictures soon! It's snowing again right now, but it's too dark to take photos.]
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I just heard from a friend in Coeur D'Alene, Idaho. They're having wintry weather there, too -- 34" of snow in town but only 20" on the ski slopes. The first snow came down wet and slushy, then it turned really, really cold and all the slush froze. Then an extremely dry, powdery snow on top of that. Meanwhile, we have 70+ degrees today with low of 66. By Monday, we're supposed to have a high of 40 and low of 30. Then on Wednesday, back to the 70's with lows in the 50's. Don't remember it being this much of a roller coaster before. I have jonquils blooming! Vegas got almost 4" of snow, a record, and even New Orleans had snow. Strange winter!!
We got hit with two snow storms with ocean effect snow in between. So it has been snowing almost non-stop for for 48 hours and is still going strong. So far we have 15 inches in Framingham. Dad and I spent all day making a gingerbread house. It's a great way to spend a snow day!
Post a Comment