Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Sleep is for pussies

I don't ever make new year's resolutions. Sure, I should eat healthier and exercise more. But "resolving" to do those things never changes the fact that I like fried foods and sitting down. I like healthy food and exercise too (luckily), and I go through periods where I'm completely on top of things.

This year, however, I'd like to try to sleep in less. As a chronic insomniac, I can't say that without some qualifiers. Since I sometimes go for days or weeks without sleeping more than an hour a night, I clearly need to allow for some catch-up time.

This January, I seem to be catching up in advance, for nights that I won't sleep in the future. I decided to start setting an alarm for the morning (set to one of the many obnoxious PDX radio stations with morning DJ's that I want to stab in the eyes with a fork--these guys have a "party bus" that is perpetually taking "winners" to a casino or similarly depressing locale, and the one guy calls all the lady-callers "beautiful" even though he can't see them). This morning was the first day of waking up within 8 hours of going to bed. Rupert couldn't quite handle the early wake-up, so after his (first) breakfast, he went straight back to bed--lion pillow and all. But I'm planning on going out for some exercise!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I just read an interesting article in the Utne Reader about sleep. They said it is normal to wake up in the night. And if you just lay there with your eyes closed for awhile you will get as much rest as if you were actually sleeping. Well, I don't think it will be rem sleep. But the point is we don't need as much actual sleep time as the sleeping pill sellers want you to believe. The article even said that before the invention of electricity people woke in the night all the time and would use the time to do chores, smoke a pipe, engage in prayer or reading, converse, make love or simply lie there in contemplation and fantasy.